I wanted to do a series of posts on those quirky things in Salesforce that you run into and when you do you end of doing one of these:
But, every Salesforce Admin should know about these. In this post, and the next 4, I'll outline a few quirky features in Salesforce and how to avoid/use them to your benefit. Today, we start with Lead Master-Detail Relationships.
The long and short of it is that you can't create a Master-Detail relationship on the Lead Object. If you're really interested in the documentation that describes this here you go - https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.api.meta/api/relationships_among_objects.htm
So, Master-Detail Relationships give us some great benefits like the ability to do Roll-Up Summaries for instance. Here's some work arounds.
- Create a lookup field and make the field required
- Create a lookup field and use
- Create a Many-to-Many relationship via a Junction object
- Use an app like Lookup Helper (https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000009wj3REAQ) or Roll-Up Helper (https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000009i3UpEAI)
- Utilize Flow/Process Builder
The important thing to remember, when you're planning implementations around Leads you need to consider the Master-Detail Relationship limit in your design.